There’s only one place to experience the Total Solar Eclipse like this. SylvanSport has partnered with the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (PARI) to have full access to the PARI grounds for the Total Eclipse on Monday, August 21.
We’ve also partnered with the REEB Ranch to allow GO Owners the opportunity to camp on some of the most beautiful property in Western North Carolina. Camping will be open to GO Owners and their guests, from August 18 to 22 at the REEB Ranch, a 145 acre farm just outside of our hometown – Brevard, NC.
GO owners from all over the country will be coming to Western North Carolina to participate in the 1st Gathering of the GOs event and to celebrate the spectacular total solar eclipse!
Camp Dark Sky
- 4 Nights Camping at the spectacular REEB Ranch – a beautiful, 145 acre property on the edge of the DuPont State Recreational Forest, for one GO and 4 adults or 2 adults and up to 4 children per site. *a small 2-person tent is acceptable within each site accompanied by a GO.
- Access to all public PARI Facilities and Eclipse Day Events ($100/person value)
- VIP area at PARI, for GO Owners with shaded relaxation areas, seating and refreshments.
- Group viewing of the Eclipse with a NASA scientist exclusively for GO Owners and campers
- Full Southern BBQ meal on Sunday night prepared by acclaimed Pitmaster (and fellow GO owner), Wayne Keavitt, complete with all the fixins’.
- Live Entertainment with Town Mountain – one of Asheville’s premiere bluegrass bands, in an exclusive, intimate setting.
- Amenities: Water, shower, portable toilets, event barn, group fire pit, creekside camping (first come – first served basis)
- Close proximity to attractions. The REEB Ranch sits on the edge of the DuPont State Recreational Forest. Easy access to Pisgah National Forest, Blue Ridge Parkway, Gorges State Park, French Broad River, Looking Glass Rock, Brevard, Asheville, the Biltmore Estate and more!
- Land of Waterfalls. Transylvania County is home to over 200 cascades and waterfalls…1 of which is located right on the REEB Ranch property.
- Outdoor Activity Concierge Service. Hiking, biking, fishing, paddling, climbing, zip-lining, canyoneering…wherever your adventurous spirit wants to take you. Set out on your own, let us give you recommendations or we can help you find a guide.
- Basic Service/Maintenance of your GO…we will have SylvanSport technicians available for inspections, lubing of hub/lift systems, basic repairs. * contact us if your needs exceed basic maintenance issues
- Registration is 100% refundable until June 18. Starting June 19, there are no refunds.
- Commemorative Eclipse Viewing Glasses and poster
Renovated buildings and rolling pastures of a former cattle farm is the setting of the 145 acre REEB Ranch. An upgraded 1940’s stone cabin and barn turned event space is straight out of a coffee table book. With Shoals Creek winding its way through the property and picturesque fields for camping, the REEB Ranch is the ideal setting for a GO Gathering. Add a gravel road leading to a 70-year-old cabin at the base of twin 43-foot waterfalls and you go straight from beautiful to magical. Singletrack trails meander up the wooded slope, eventually connecting with Dupont State Forest, where 80 miles of trail await.
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (PARI)
For decades, what is now the PARI campus was actually a top secret Dept of Defense data collection post, closed to all but those with the highest security clearance. Originally established by NASA as a satellite monitoring station, the location was selected for its high altitude, clear skies, minimal light pollution and the isolation and security of the forest. In recent years, PARI has returned to life as an educational research and science facility, utilizing the $200 million of government infrastructure and an additional $20 million of private investment capital.
- Food trucks
- Live music / entertainment
- Guided tours
- 2 NASA teams: launching 1 of 50 high altitude balloons across the country to take live video & still images at 90,000′ (visitors will be able to watch launch & NASA TV live stream)
- 300 astronomers from around the world, as well as various dignitaries
Total Eclipse of the….
- The “totality” of the eclipse will cross the PARI campus at 2:36:44pm EST & last for 1min 47 sec.
- A solar eclipse happens when the moon, directly between the sun & earth, casts a shadow on our planet.
- The last total eclipse in the continental US occurred on Feb 26, 1979, however, was only visible to 5 states in the Northwest.
- The 2017 eclipse is a unique, once in a lifetime astronomical phenomena and there is no better place experience it than at Camp Dark Sky. Not only will we be located directly in the ‘Zone of Totality’, but we will have the added benefit of NASA scientists and astronomers from all over the world convening at our location!
- The difference between partial and total eclipse is, literally, night and day. Those viewing the total eclipse will experience darkness to where you can see stars, the wind will die and birds will go quiet. With the proper glasses, viewers will see the sun’s corona, the diamond ring formed by the moon passing directly between the sun and earth.